Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Goals















It is hard as a parent of a child with special needs to figure out which goals are appropriate. To realize that your child's potential may be limited is extremely painful. To realize that the burden of their potential is directly on you can be at times catalyzing and paralyzing. I have found that setting goals for myself and what behavior I would like to have is much more fulfilling than setting goals for Katie that she may never reach.

However, I still hope that someday she will be able to communicate more with me, with words or pictures, whatever form it may be. I hope that she will continue to progress, as slow as it has been, toward some level of independence.

But for now, and on days when I do not wish to be a therapist but a mom... My goal is simply for her happiness. For each day to be as fulfilling and content for her as possible. I hope to enrich her life by exposing her to new experiences and places.... To do whatever it is that makes her happy, in the moment. And worry about tomorrow, well, tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment